Eggs and ketchup, chicken and waffles, pizza and ranch dressing are the same as peanut butter and jelly? You can’t be serious. According to over 100 million receipts submitted through the Fetch app from April 1, 2023 to April 30, 2023, you can be. Let’s discuss it!
What are some popular food combinations?
- Pancakes & Maple Syrup, the iconic breakfast combo. Shoppers are 35x more likely to purchase pancake mix will be in a shopper’s basket if maple syrup is already.
- Bagels & Cream Cheese is another breakfast favorite. Shoppers are 31x more likely to purchase bagels if they already have cream cheese in their cart.
- Peanut Butter & Jelly is the lunch go-to. Shoppers are 22x more likely to get peanut butter if they have snagged jelly.
- Bacon & Eggs, seems we really like breakfast around here. Nearly 13x more likely that eggs will be in a shopper’s basket if bacon is already.
- Tortilla Chips & Salsa, is a great chip and dip combo. Shoppers are 8.5x more likely to get salsa if they already have tortilla chips.
- Cereal & Milk, again with the breakfast. Shoppers were 4.8x more likely to buy milk when cereal is already in the cart.
What common food combinations go well together?
There are numerous iconic food pairings that have become beloved combinations in various cuisines around the world. Here are some examples:
- Fish and chips: A traditional British dish consisting of deep-fried fish, typically cod or haddock, served with thick-cut chips (French fries).
- Wine and cheese: A timeless combination, where different types of cheese are paired with specific wines to complement each other’s flavors.
- Tomato and basil: A classic duo found in Italian cuisine, as in Caprese salad, where ripe tomatoes are paired with fresh basil leaves and mozzarella cheese.
- Burger and fries: An iconic fast food pairing, where a juicy burger patty is sandwiched between buns and served alongside crispy French fries.
- Pizza and beer: A common pairing enjoyed by many, where a slice of pizza, with its varied toppings, is often accompanied by a refreshing beer.
- Chocolate and strawberries: A classic dessert pairing, where ripe strawberries are dipped in rich, melted chocolate, creating a delightful contrast of flavors.
- Sushi and soy sauce: In Japanese cuisine, sushi is often enjoyed with soy sauce, which adds a savory element to the delicate flavors of the sushi rolls or nigiri.
What are the weirdest food combinations?
Now, I’m not here to pass judgment on the American public…but, some of these combinations are weird. The fact that so many of you are buying these together for us to notice a trend is concerning, but you do you…
- Eggs & Ketchup, Nearly 9x more likely that ketchup will be in a shopper’s basket if eggs are already.
- Chicken & Waffles, I guess that’s not too weird. Shoppers were 6.2x more likely to buy chicken if frozen waffles are already in their cart.
- Pizza & Ranch Dressing. Shoppers were 6.1x more likely to buy ranch dressing when buying pizza.
- Fruit Roll-Ups & Ice Cream, the sweet tooth is real. Shoppers were 4.2x more likely to get ice cream when buying Fruit Roll-Ups.
- Oreos & Peanut Butter, shoppers were 3.1x more likely to buy peanut butter buying Oreos.
- Milk & Pepsi, lets hope we’re not combining these. Shoppers were 2.3x more likely to buy Pepsi when also buying milk.
What are some unusual foods?
- Peanut butter and pickles: Some people enjoy the combination of creamy peanut butter spread on a sandwich with tangy dill pickles.
- French fries and ice cream: It may sound strange, but dipping crispy French fries into soft-serve ice cream or milkshakes is a combination enjoyed by many.
- Pizza with Pineapple: While it is a subject of debate and often divides opinions, the pairing of pineapple with pizza has gained popularity in certain regions, resulting in the creation of the infamous Hawaiian pizza.
- Salted caramel: Combining sweet and savory flavors, salted caramel has become a popular addition to desserts, chocolates, and even beverages.
- Chocolate-covered bacon: The combination of crispy bacon and sweet chocolate has gained a following, particularly among those who enjoy the contrast of flavors.
- Watermelon with feta cheese: This unusual combination pairs the refreshing sweetness of watermelon with the saltiness of feta cheese, creating a unique blend of flavors.
- Popcorn and hot sauce: Some people enjoy adding a kick to their popcorn by drizzling hot sauce or sprinkling spices like chili powder or cayenne pepper.
- Cheese and jam: Combining different types of cheese with fruity jams or preserves can create a delightful contrast of flavors, especially when paired with crackers or bread.
- Avocado and chocolate: Mashing avocado with cocoa powder or incorporating avocado into chocolate-based desserts like mousse or brownies can result in a creamy and rich treat.
- Cheetos and cream cheese: The combination of crunchy Cheetos with smooth cream cheese is an unusual pairing that some find surprisingly satisfying.
Snap those weird food combinations
Even if you are one of those people buying odd food combinations, you deserve to be rewarded. Ensure you’re snapping all your receipts to earn points and rewards!